CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Poo Poo Point





May 11, 2007

So I know the name is ridiculous, but the view from this point is amazing! I don't think there could be a picture that does it justice, but look at that view! As I mentioned before, I started this hike last year with Jaz and we took a wrong turn. Somewhere I read that this hike was about 4 miles, so I figured that would be a good starter hike for the year. I knew it was steep, but I had all afternoon. I would just take my time.

The hike starts out on paths that I knew really well. One of the trails is called "Bus Trail." That's because there is an old rusted out bus alongside the trail. If anybody knows how it got out there with no roads nearby, please let me know!



(like the "vintage" look?)

The next phase takes you along a utility trail and then, when you take the right turn, you start up the mountain. It was definately steep, but I took my time and my journal and kept moving up the mountain.


This hike has it all: waterfalls, groves of different trees, wildlife, drop offs, strange trees, wildflowers, strange plants... After quite awhile on the trail I was getting really tired and started to wonder how much further it was. I started the "just until that tree up ahead" and finally came to a crossroads. The sign post said Poo Poo Point was .5 miles further. It also said that the trailhead was 4 miles back! Well, I couldn't come this far and miss it by just a half mile, so I kept going, and I am so glad I did. The view was breathtaking and there were all these parasailers using the point as a take-off spot. So I sat up there for about a half-hour just watching them take off and land. I also discovered that you can drive up to the point! I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't know that before hand, because then I couldn't say I made it.



the other half of the view from the top

Anyway, after a good rest up top I headed back down. This was when I realized 1) I had only brought enough water for a 4 mile hike, 2) I hadn't brought a lunch and it was already 3:00, and 3) I was going to die. Yes, this was another hike where I got in way over my head. It would be really interesting to watch myself towards the end of one of these hikes when I start to get a little woozy. At some point I usually start saying, "Please God get me out of here, I've done it again!" And then try to decide who would be the best person to call when I can't go any further.

But, I did make it. I survived not only the 9 mile hike, but the tounge lashing I got from everyone when they found out what I'd done. (I am so blessed to have people who will do that for me!) And, I have some really great pictures! I think I'll wait awhile before I try one of those again.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is all very good but do youy have any thing from Mt Ranier? dad

Anonymous said...

So when are you going to update your blog? I agree with your dad.... I was wandering about pictures of Mt Everest? Dana