CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Yellowstone #5 - Old Faithful Part 2

I am posting two parts to this today, so if you haven't seen the first part, you may want to read that one that comes after this first...does that make sense?


OK, So, after watching castle geyser erupt, we all split up. My dad went out to Morning Glory, my mom went to the gift shop, and I went to see the smaller loops on the map.

This one's called Chinese Spring, and I just like the picture with the river in the background. :)


One of the reasons I wanted to take the smaller loop was because of this smaller geyser called Anenome. It starts out completley empty of water (like on the left) and then every 20 minutes or so it fills up completley with water, starts erupting, and then all the water drains back out of it and it's completley dry again. The whole eruption takes like 30 seconds. Very cool!

Right next to Anenome, were some benches where you could watch Old Faithful go off. (It goes about every 90 min.) I could see that there were tons of people waiting down at the main viewing area, so I knew it must be about time and I waited. Old Faithful started and then immediatley behind me this one, Plume Geyser, started going. This one shoots a good 10 feet in the air and scared all of us that were sitting there. Everyone was taking pictures on one side and then the other. Here's Old Faithful:The plan was to meet dad back at Grand to watch it go. We were going to be there early. We were NOT going to miss it! So I met him there on the one bench with any shade and we waited, and waited, and waited...
We waited through a wind storm and hot sun. We waited for hours. This geyser called West Triplet went while we were sitting there at least twice.Then it happened (you can see some of the storm clouds in the back) and it was VERY cool. It's hard to comprehed just how much water that really is. (Notice Triplet Geyser in the front, completely empty of water.)When it was done, Dad and I headed back, but I made him stop at the Inn so I could take pictures. The Inn has been around for almost as long as the Park has, well officially anyway. It's very cool

The Inn is huge. This picture shows the nest which is 5 stories up. They used to bring in choirs to sing up there for Christmas in August, but they can't anymore because it's not structurally sound. It really is breathtaking. Whew! That's it for Old Faithful! Just one or two posts to go!

0 comments: